Adaptive approaches in a disruptive world – Agile Business Analysis
How to remain sustainable and competitive in a disruptive world?
In today’s world, everything is relative, and thus what we are is a definition with who we are with respect to the world/society. We really need to push ourselves to succeed in competitive world.
Organizations should invest in new technology, to remain competitive. The existence of competing organizations that serves different customers has increased through enhanced collaborations & communications and improved shipping channels.
How can Business Analyst supports business in a disruptive world?
Business Analysis professionals assess the organization and its operating landscape, they evaluate emerging technologies and processes to score projects that deliver solutions to the best of business needs.
In the words of Michelle Shakesheff, Business Analyst Manager at Zurich Insurance, “Business Analysis is one of those roles that will never be static. It will always be changing as organizations change and technology changes.”
But ‘disruption’ goes beyond change. The world has changed and has become much more complex. Competition is more intense than ever before, and the changes facing business are happening faster than ever before. To remain sustainable and competitive, organizations are recognizing the value of the role of business analysis in helping them to achieve their business goals.
How to meet business goals in the context?
The Agile influence
The shift towards Agile approaches has had a profound impact on people, projects and organizations, and subsequently, the Business Analysis profession.
The Manifesto for Agile Software Development
In the beginning of 2001, A software developers group has started discussing lightweight development methodologies. They published the Manifesto for Agile Software Development, in which they shared that through their combined experience of developing software and helping others to do it.
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
- Working software over comprehensive documentation
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
- Responding to change over following a plan
While the secondary concerns were important and then primary concerns were more critical to success.
Individuals and interactions
Self-organization and motivation are important, as are interactions like co-location and cross functional.
Working software is more useful and welcome than just presenting documents to clients in meetings.
Requirements cannot be fully collected at the beginning of the software development cycle, therefore continuous customer or stakeholder involvement is very important.
Responding to change
Agile methods are focused on quick responses to change and continuous development.
The Agile Manifesto is based on twelve principles:
- Customer satisfaction by early and continuous delivery of valuable software
- Welcome changing requirements, even in late development
- Working software is delivered frequently (weeks rather than months)
- Close, daily cooperation between business people and developers
- Projects are built around motivated individuals, who should be trusted
- Face-to-face conversation is the best form of communication (co-location)
- Working software is the principal measure of progress
- Sustainable development, able to maintain a constant pace
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
- Simplicity—the art of maximizing the amount of work not done – is essential
- Best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams
- Regularly, the team reflects on how to become more effective, and adjusts accordingly
Fifteen years of learning and experience applying the Agile Manifesto has led to a greater understanding of how business analysis fits into agile/ adaptive approaches and the value Business Analysis professionals bring to agile projects. Organizations are now realizing that by consistently applying Business Analysis discipline and leveraging the expertise of their seasoned Business Analysis professionals, they are able to dramatically increase the organization’s ability to deliver expected value incrementally through each iteration.
Projects utilizing agile /adaptive approaches focus on rapid delivery of business value using methods that evolve requirements and solutions in increments and through collaborative execution. Developing documentation is minimized with agile approaches – only where it adds value – and the team focuses their energy on developing value incrementally and for each iteration.
Visit business analyst training in hyderabad to enroll for training.