What for FURPS Technique?
What is quality for software clients? Customers demand Quality in the products / applications they buy in. Quality either cannot define clearly in terms of client’s expectations or the software organisation.
What is Functionality? The software development progresses in phases; requirements become well understood by stakeholders concerned. Therefore, the requirements can be revised and improved in an iterative and incremental mode. So everything falls to how
The software development progresses in phases; requirements become well understood by stakeholders concerned. Therefore, the requirements can be revised and improved in an iterative and incremental mode. So everything falls to how functionality of the particular application or software is? Following are the various points which drive what the functionality is to a developed software application or product.
- The quality of having a practical usage in the proposed application.
- Set of functions or capabilities or features provided in the developed application.
- Unique identification with product features and matching user-friendly to use.
- Software with greater practicality and capability – concerned with actual use rather than theoretical possibilities.
Dimensions of requirements – We can see that some requirements are functional and others non-functional, and also that some requirements are technology-independent and others technology-specific. And so we need a classification that will allow us to think about these different aspects of requirements. FURPS+ acronym: functionality, usability, reliability, performance, and supportability, with the plus (+) used to represent all other requirements, such as design or implementation constraints. FURPS+ classification addresses both functional and non-functional requirements. A particularly nice aspect of this classification is the emphasis placed on understanding the different types of non-functional requirements.
- Functional requirements specifically specify the input and output behavior of a system. Also requirements that are not functional in nature are called non-functional requirements.
- Non-functional requirements describe only attributes of the system or attributes of the system environment.
This particular aspect can be handled through FURPS Technique which provides a framework or set of focus points. If everything about a project is traceable back to FURPS Technique, then one can be confident that the product is well designed.Tags: Quality Requirements